Friday, February 16, 2018

God's Plan for My Uterus

At the end of 2009, I was at my wit's end. I had exhausted just about every medical option for relieving my abdominal endometriosis pain. I was tossed back into pain management and had scheduled a hysterectomy. I was BEYOND ready to have everything removed. I had already had my miracle baby that I didn't expect - thinking it was impossible due to my endo issues. We had adopted a second daughter. Our home and our hearts were full and I had just celebrated my 36th birthday. I just wanted to be certain that this was, indeed, God's plan, so I prayed. I prayed that if this was the next best step for me, that God would somehow confirm that for me and give me peace about it. As the hysterectomy date approached, I began the pre-operative process with doctor visits, calls to our insurance company, blood work and intake/registration.

Two weeks before my scheduled hysterectomy, I woke up with a stomach bug. I felt like crap, but the pain management regimen that I was on sometimes made me feel sick to my stomach, so I didn't think anything of it. I carried on but as the day went on, the nausea didn't improve...even after skipping my scheduled pain medications. The thought of taking anything in orally didn't sit well with me, so I rode out the pain waiting for the nausea to subside before finally popping a Zofran (anti-nausea medication) mid-afternoon. The medicine did it's job and I was back on my feet again...until the next morning. Same thing, different day and then again, the following day.

Make it a 2 pack, or else!

Suddenly, a thought dawned on me...Jim and I had been intimate. Could it be? I reassured myself that there was just no way that could be possible after having had 3 surgeries in three years, medicinal menopause for a year and with only one defective, polycystic ovary remaining.

When I woke up sick for the fourth day in a row, I asked Jim to go to the store for a pregnancy test assuring him that it was probably nothing. "In fact, please pick up a two pack. If the first one comes back positive, I'm going to want to retest because I won't believe it," I told him as he walked out the door to CVS.

He arrived home with the tests and I proceeded with the first test which showed a very faint second line indicating a positive. I took the second test the next day upon waking up and the second line was even more visible.

"I can't be pregnant!" I shouted at Jim. "I'm having a hysterectomy in a week and a half, for crying out loud! How is this happening right now? Aren't I too old for this?"

"It looks like God has other plans for your uterus," Jim said.

I had prayed and God had answered.  He did, in fact, have other plans for my uterus.

I called my OB/GYN to set up an appointment to confirm the pregnancy and for advice on the crazy pain management regimen that I was on. I began freaking out about the little peanut inside of me and how he or she was handling the butt-load of medications I was on for my pain. I didn't want to hurt the baby and I was so scared. I also didn't know how I was going to make it through the next three days waiting for my appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment